maandag 30 december 2013

Sculpture Drawing Class

Another very relaxing class is the Sculpture Drawing Class. I attend the classes with my dutch friend Anna. Although the classes are fun, it is hard to keep up with the high leveled skills of the japanese students who will be professionals when they graduate.
We use charcoal to draw sculptures, still lives and nudes. In December we have had a female nude model pose for two drawings. Each pose was 3 sessions of 6 x 20 minutes (she needs a five minutes rest after every 20 minutes). It was hard to draw the exact pose, because after each break, the pose of the model was slightly different. But I can understand that, since posing and not moving in a standing position, surrounded by over 30 students in a classroom with limited air circulation, can be difficult.
It was not my first time drawing the nude and I love muscles and volumeus areas and it was fun to see how the model has gained or lost weight every week she posed for us. She will do one more session and I hope that she can be as interesting as the other two poses.

Pose 1, the legs are too long...
Everybody gets a mark for his/her drawing.
Pose 2, I tried to make the hands more delicate.

As a holiday assignment, Anna and I have to draw a sculpture and  a still live. The still live is not drawn yet, but for the sculpture we chose the bust of Laocoon, one of my favorite sculptures of Greek History. This bust is just a part of a large sculpture in which Laocoon and his two sons are attacked by snakes from the sea. I love the volumeus build muscles and dramatic expression on his face and hope that I did right to the sculpture.

Laocoon bust, by Kiwa.
Left made by Anna, right made by Kiwa.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten